July 9, 2009

Church Delight

Karla Ward
This is the raisin cake I sometimes bring to family events. So, if you don't like raisins, you won't want this recipe. This was my great-grandma's recipe that she brought over on the boat from Denmark. It is one of our family favorites. When I was growing up, we actually picked the grapes and dried them into raising ourselves on my grandma's roof. So, I really love this recipe.

Cook until there is 1 1/2 cups liquid and then cool:
1 1/2 cup raisins
2 1/2 cups water

Mix together:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cube butter
2 eggs
raisin liquid

Sift and add:
2 3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon mace

Add drained raisins. Bake at 350 degrees in a greased cookie sheet for about 25 minutes or until golden. Frost while still hot with:

1/4 cube melted butter
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
3/4 box powdered sugar (I just use enough to make it really thick but still pourable)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin