January 15, 2011

Wheat Bread ala Rachel

I know. It's been a while. But I thought that I would get this up while I was thinking about it. This is a great bread recipe.  I made it once a week for a few months, but the holidays got in the way and I took a little break.  But now, we're back.  This recipe makes 6 loaves, so I generally freeze one or two because lack of preservatives means mold more quickly.  This makes great toast and even better FRENCH TOAST.  YUM!  I read a great tip the other day too: slice it before you freeze it and then take a slice or two out as you need it. (PS. If you have a bosch, use it for this.)

Not Quite Whole Wheat Bread

6 c. hot water
1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
1/2 c. honey (or 1/3 c. agave syrup)
1/2 c. coconut oil (really, any oil would work, but I like the flavor the coconut oil gives it)
2 eggs
1/4 c. flaxseed, ground
3 tbsp. yeast
10 c. whole wheat flour
4 c. white flour

In mixer add hot water (not boiling, just as hot as you can get from the tap). Add salt, sugar, oil and 4 c. flour.  Mix. Add yeast and remaining flour until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.  Mix for 6 minutes (if using your bosch use the dough hook for the last part.)  Remove from mixing bowl and form into loaves. Let rise. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

(If you don't like that much wheat, you can use all white if you want.)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin