April 12, 2010

Homemade Chicken Stock

About once a month I roast a chicken. Either that, or throw it in the crock pot. After we have eaten and I have picked most of the meat off the bones, I save the carcass to make this.  I put it in tupperware and freeze it. I haven't had to buy stock or broth in MONTHS.  It's awesome.

In a LARGE pot place the chicken carcass and about 6 cups of water. I save the drippings and add those as well.  Add 3 carrots, cut up, 3 celery stalks cut up, 3 garlic cloves, 2 bay leaves, 2 tsp. salt, pepper to taste and any other seasonings you feel the need to add.  I will put in dill, rosemary, thyme and/or sage. It's kind of fun to play around and figure out which one you like best.

Bring to a boil over medium.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for an hour.  Strain the broth and store in tupperware or jars. I dole it out in 2 cup servings so I know how much I have to work with when I pull it out of the freezer.

Since this chicken broth won't have all the salt necessary for preserving, you will want to add a little salt to the recipe when you use it.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin